Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Dear Janet...

Dear Janet (and other blog readers too!),

I apologize, Janet, for not being there for your AM procrastination. It's been a week since our (MY!) last post. (Janet's getting called out for "harassing" me today about no blog, TWICE. *smile!*) Last Wednesday was Matt's 29th birthday, I'm sure everyone is annoyed the picture of the delicious cookie cake I made; because that's what you've been seeing as you sigh to yourself 'no blog update, ugh'.

Last Thursday, Mom and Abuela arrived just in time for Matt's company kickball game. Matt and I had worked hard last week to get the guest bathroom back into working order. Unfortunately, it was not finished before our first guests arrived. Mom was able to help me paint, while Abuela watched Abigail play and roll and scoot backwards on the giant cushioned blanket I've built on the living room floor. We didn't do much other than work on the bathroom over the weekend. Oh, we made a trip to IKEA Saturday (Abuela's first trip) to look for bathroom fixtures. I was VERY disappointed with their selection and was annoyed we wasted so much time and didn't buy what we needed. It would have been quicker if they had a wheelchair available for Abuela (as my phone call to IKEA had me expecting), oh well, that's what we get for going on a busy weekend...that and dealing with silly people who enjoy going the wrong way in the IKEA maze.

We attended church on Sunday, our 2nd visit to this particular church; Matt and I both seem like we've finally found a winner since B'ham. Cumberland Community Church is the place, and I was actually brave enough to allow Abigail to hang out with the other babies for most of the service. I did check on her frequently. Towards the end I could tell she was tired and fussed a bit. The woman picked her up and rocked her, and let Abigail run her fingers through her hair. She was completely passed out when the service had ended. I felt bad waking her up so we could leave.

As part of Matt's birthday gift, Mom & Abuela watched Abigail while we went to see Transformers 2. I had a much harder time 'relaxing' (if that's the best word for it) for the movie than for church; at least at church I was still in the same building. This is also the first movie I've seen since Batman Begins or Step Brothers, whichever came out last. When we moved to ATL I learned that movies here cost $10/person, completely outrageous. We had a free popcorn coupon and paid $5.50 for a soda, you can't just drink smuggled bottled water with salty, buttery movie popcorn. The medium popcorn was so huge we barely were able to finish half the bag, and I felt completely nasty and buttery. The gi-normous soda was only a buck over the small and it came with ONE free refill. They do fail to remind you that the movie is 2.5hrs and will also require you to take a potty break. During my potty break I got that one refill, I was going to get my (Matt's) money worth. I really want to know how much cash the movie industry is making these days...taking advantage of all the people being affected by the crappy economy. We paid $8/person (matinee prices) so our movie cost us $21.50, the theater was very full. Rudely enough, I had someone kicking me from behind, another RIGHT next to me, then someone sat in front of me where my feet were so comfortably propped. (I know feet propping is not good, but I'm short and if I sit back, partially reclining) in the seat (made for someone twice my size) my feet don't touch and it's very awkward.) Remember that quirky music that used to play in the theater before the previews began? No longer! You are paying to watch commercials; and those companies are paying to show you those commercials. Add it all together, I couldn't relax at all, thinking why I was indulging Matt in this 'experience' when I could be home with Abs perfectly happy with adding the movie to our Netflix cue...that only costs $18/month. And when did it become necessary to need earplugs at the movies? The volume was turned up WAY too loud. It did take me at least half the movie, a million glances at my cell, and one phone call home during my potty break to finally help me enjoy the rest of the movie. It was a decent movie (Matt will rave much more about it) and a good sequel to the previous movie released a couple years ago.

Monday, Matt trekked back to work while we continued working on the bathroom and running around some more. Mom, being the perfectionist that she is, decided she wanted to also paint the baseboards and cabinets, meaning we also needed new hardware for the cabinets. It felt like the never ending project! On top of it all, the A/C started failing late Monday (seriously, A/C is not even a joking possibility with us). I dealt with the home warranty company first thing Tuesday, after a few phone calls and lots of waiting I was able to schedule a company for today, so no A/C last night. Perfect! Just perfect timing for Dad to arrive with cousins Sharon & Bob. No A/C, but the guest bath was back in working order...and looks AMAZING! The A/C repair guy arrived today at 10 (to my shock) and replaced some wire that had gone bad, and in time for us to leave for a 'pedicure' appt for Toby and Mom, Dad, Sharon and Bob to head to SC for tonight.

Yesterday was also Abigail's 6mo check-up. She weighed in at 13lbs and measured 25.25in. Abs is still in the lowest percentile for her age, and Dr Clements said I could feed her more IF SHE WANTS MORE (Grandma)...well, I'm still nursing on demand and supplementing (SLOWLY) with cereal. I want her to be a pro at swallowing before we move on to more exciting, flavorful and healthy foods. The key word there was healthy, the cereal has basically NO nutritional value. Matt and I aren't worried about her weight, she's super happy (as you can see from the pictures and videos) and has plenty of 'chunk' on her cute little thighs. Abs is also a very active baby, like I said earlier, she's rolling all over the place...and you have to watch her carefully because she usually rolls off that wonderful cushioned mat. She likes to hear the noise her feet make kicking on the hardwood floors. She can push up into the crawling position and even can poke her booty in the air (on her toes), it looks like a yoga pose. We've seen her slowing scoot backwards, so it's not going to be much longer for her to figure crawling out completely. She's also sitting up for longer periods of time and is getting that balancing thing figured out too. In the last week or so, she's started reaching for us to hold her (which is SO cute). She's a pro at putting the pacifier in and out, and likes chewing it on the side gums...but still no signs of teeth (THANK YOU JESUS!). Abs did have one crazy poo today that ended up more outside of her diaper than in - I thought it was hilarious because it made me believe she was showing her dislike for the outfit (just like her mommy). The only possible clean-up for this was the bathtub, and I did consider taking a pic of it (mostly for Janet - you know, a 'take that!'). Lucky for you all, the camera was downstairs and it wouldn't have been easy (or quick) to explain to Abuela where it was and to retrieve it for me. I blame the cereal from last night for this wonderful surprise. And because I know you're wondering (Grandma), I did try to give her some cereal again today, this time plain and with pureed banana (Thank You Grandma!!!) and she didn't want any of it, either of them) today.

Well, there you go Janet...I hope you enjoyed your week long update. Now get to work woman (hugs!), you don't get paid to read our blog!
Powered By Blogger