Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Word Change

Main Entry: CHANGE
Pronunciation: \ˈchānj\
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French changer, from Latin cambiare to exchange, probably of Celtic origin; akin to Old Irish camm crooked

Transitive Verb
A:) to make different in some particular : alter (never bothered to change the will)
B:) to make radically different : transform (can't change human nature)
C:) to give a different position, course, or direction to


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's a late Tuesday night as I lay here in bed watching the national election results on our fuzzy tv and ponder the true idea behind the word "change." This word has so many more meanings for us than most could possibly think of on this important election night, however it's only fitting for the word to be thrown around so much at this time in our lives.

From a personal perspective, change revolves around our move to Atlanta, my new job with Philips and ultimately the arrival of our baby girl, Abigail. The move has been tough already because it is what it is...a move. First, you've got to find a new place, which thankfully went extremely well. Then you have the frustrations of boxing up everything you own, scheduling movers to load up all that stuff and move it to your new location, and then unboxing all that stuff. At least we have a much larger home to fill instead of trying to squeeze more into less. Of course, there are things we have instantly begun to work on with the house. Honestly, would any of you expect anything less from Jill and I, especially after all the work we did to our home in Birmingham. Haha! And so we're unpacking everything still, but the change in our surroundings has been welcomed with open arms overall by us.

The cause for our change of address, of course, is due to me accepting a new position with Philips Design here in Atlanta. Over the last few days I've really began preparing myself mentally for the new responsibilities and challenges of my new role, and I can honestly say that I'm both anxious and excited. And although there is some uncertainty since I've not yet stepped foot inside that office as an employee, there is a deep sense of pride knowing that I am joining the Philips Design team. Yes, there is no doubt in my mind that this is a change for the good of my career, as well as the good of my family.

Regardless of the current change being brought about by my career move, there has been a beacon of change in our lives that has been growing in Jill's belly over the last 33 weeks. Yep, our baby girl will bring about more change to our lives than any career move I've made to date or could ever make. And more than anything else, we welcome this little bundle of change into our lives...and our lives will forever be changed. How inspiring! :-)
Powered By Blogger